What is Pradosh Vrat
BY : STARZSPEAK
By: Manmeet Kaur Tura
Pradosh Vrat or Pradosham is a fast that is kept on trayodashi (thirteenth day in Hindu month) to worship Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. Shukla Paksha and Krishna Paksha are the two Pradosh days in a Hindu month. If the Pradosh Vrat happens to be on Monday it is called Soma Pradosham or Chandra Pradosham. If the auspicious day of the Vrat falls on Tuesday it is names as Bhauma Pradosham and Shani Pradosham if the fast happens to be on Saturday.
The Pradosha worship is performed in the evening twilight or sandhya kala on the Trayodashi of both lunar fortnights (Shukla and Krishna Paksha). These are the 13th lunar days, from the New Moon (Amavasya) and Full Moon (Poornima).
Pradosh Vrat is a way of obtaining salvation or Moksha after death. It is believes that one who performs the Pradosh Vrat gets the divine blessings of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. It is considered one of the most important fast in the Hindu Vedas. It is believed that Lord Shiva will favor those who perform vrat on Pradosh dates and hence it is written in the mythological books that “Shiva will be his”.
The rituals involve devotes fasting all day followed by a vigil. One hour before the sunset a bath is taken and the family of Lord Shiva i.e. Goddess Parvati, Ganesha, Skanda, and Nandi are worshipped. Following this, Prayers are sung to invoke the Lord. The Pradosh story is read out to all devotes, after the formal worship is concluded.
Benefits of Pradosh Vrat -
- It is said that if you fast on Monday for the Pradosh Vrat all your wishes come true.
- Fasting on Tuesday gives you a healthy life. You stay away from diseases.
- Wednesday fasts lead to a prosperous life.
- Thursday fasts help you in having a peaceful life. It is said that all the enmity around you is removed.
- A happily married life and good fortune comes your way if you fast on Fridays.
- It is believed that fasting on Saturday helps you in child birth. Any couple who wishes to have a baby must follow the rituals of Pradosh Vrat every Saturday.
- Rejuvenation and good health can be obtained from fasting on Sundays.
2018 Pradosha Puja Time & Date-
- 14th January, Sunday- Pradosh Vrat (17:41- 20:24)
- 29th January, Monday- Soma Pradosh Vrat (17:53- 20:33)
- 13th February, Tuesday- Bhauma Pradosh Vrat (18:05- 20:41)
- 27th February, Tuesday- Bhauma Pradosh Vrat (18:15- 20:46)
- 14th March, Wednesday- Pradosh Vrat (18:24-20:50)
- 29th March, Thursday- Pradosh Vrat (18:33- 20:54)
- 13th April, Friday- Pradosh Vrat (18:41-20:57)
- 27Th April, Friday- Pradosh Vrat (18:49-20:01)
- 13th May. Sunday - Pradosh Vrat (18:59- 21:06)
- 26th May, Saturday – Shani Pradosh Vrat (19:07- 21:11)
- 11th June, Monday- Soma Pradosh Vrat (19:14-21:17)
- 25th June, Monday- Soma Pradosh Vrat (19:18-21:20)
- 10th July, Tuesday- Bhauma Pradosh Vrat (19:18-21:21)
- 24th July, Tuesday- Bhauma Pradosh Vrat (19:12-21:18)
- 9th August, Thursday- Pradosh Vrat (19:02-21:11)
- 23rd August, Thursday- Pradosh Vrat (18:48-21:02)
- 7th September, Friday- Pradosh Vrat (18:32-20:50)
- 22nd September, Saturday- Shani Pradosh Vrat (18:14-20:38)
- 6th October, Saturday- Shani Pradosh Vrat (17:57-20:26)
- 22nd October, Monday- Soma Pradosh Vrat (17:40- 20:14)
- 5th November, Saturday- Soma Pradosh Vrat (17:29-20:07)
- 20th November, Monday- Bhauma Pradosh Vrat (17:21- 20:03)
- 4th December, Tuesday- Bhauma Pradosh Vrat (17:19-20:04)
- 20th December, Thursday- Pradosh Vrat (17:24- 20:09)
Best Time to Perform the rituals, according To Hindu calendar
Pradosham mantras must be performed on trayodashi tithi during pradosh Kaal after Sunset. All the Lord Shiva temples follow this ritual to obtain the blessings of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
The fasting day of Pradosham may differ from location to location. It may be different in two cities within India. Fasting for Pradosham is dependent on the sunset time and it is observed only when Trayodashi Tithi prevails after sunset. Hence Pradosham fast maybe observed on Dwadashi Tithi i.e. one day before Trayodashi Tithi.