By: Manmeet Kaur Tura
Navratri also spelled Navaratri or Navarathri, is a nine nights (and ten days) Hindu festival, celebrated every year in India. Navratri comes from the Sanskrit word ‘Nava’ which means nine and ‘Ratri’ that means night. It is celebrated in different ways in different parts of the country. Theoretically speaking, there are four seasonal Navratri. However, Sharad Navratri that falls in the Gregorian months of September and October.
In the eastern and northeastern states of India, the Durga Puja is synonymous with Navratri. It is believed that goddess Durga establishes Dharma after winning the battle against the demon on this day. In the northern and western states, Navratri is synonymous with "Ram Lila" and Dussehra. Dussehra is a festival that celebrates the victory of Lord Ram over the evils of Ravana. In southern states, the victory of different incarnations of Rama or Saraswati is celebrated. Wherein, the message in all the celebrations is the victory of good over the evil that establishes Dharma.
It is celebrated from 10th October 2018 to 18th October 2018 this year. There is a tradition to wear dresses that symbolize the colors of Navratri on each of the 9 days. There are 9 special Navratri colors 2018.
Navratri 2018- Colors to Wear
Dos During Navratri
* Take a bath before 8 am every morning.
* It is suitable to eat sattvic food and have a meal only once.
* It is recommended to visit the Durga temple every morning and evening. If this is not possible, then an oil lamp should be lit and flowers must be offered twice.
* After bathing, always wear fresh/new clothes instead of old ones.
* Avoid the black color during the festive season.
* Recite mantras and shlokas during the free time of the days
Don’ts During Navratri
*Do not cut your nails during these nine days
* Do not get a haircut.
* Avoid stitching or knitting during the ten-day period.
* Avoid non-vegetarian food, onion, garlic, spicy food and alcohol for the 10-day period.
* Do not study on the ninth day of the festival. Place all books and other gadgets near the goddess and seek her blessings.
Book your online puja